[daip] no return to prompt

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Jun 20 14:08:01 EDT 2008

Kathryn Stanonik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After attending the aips tutorials at your summer school, I now know
> that aips is supposed to return to the command prompt while tasks
> execute in the background, but when I run it here it doesn't.  I'm
> working off a centerally configured workstation where the software is
> installed for a number of people, but for those I've talked to they
> are all able to have tasks run in the background.  Any suggestions? Is
> there a preferences file somewhere?

GO has an adverb DOWAIT.  If that is TRUE (> 0) then AIPS waits while
tasks run and resumes only when they finish (or abort).  Sometime AIPS
waits for return values (SETFC, IMEAN, maybe others) but it will tell
you then "waiting for return adverbs".  DOWAIT is useful in procedures
since it guarantees that errors cause the proc to quit and that tasks
are not run too soon.  It can remain set and is saved like any other
adverbs between sessions.