[daip] additional SWTIN output in UVWAIT ?

Olaf Wucknitz wucknitz at astro.uni-bonn.de
Thu Jun 19 12:38:10 EDT 2008

Hello again,

when running IMAGR with non-natural weighting, the subroutine UVWAIT
determines some relevant noise parameters. One of them is logged as
"UVWAIT: Noise is increased by a factor XXX due to weighting". This one
(variable NOISR) is also written to the data file header as keyword
WTNOISE, which is very helpful.
Would it be possible to add a few lines to do the same with the variable
SWTIN as some appropriate (unused) keyword?

If the weights are calibrated and normalised to reflect 1/sigma^2, one
could then directly use this number to estimate the expected image noise
for natural weighting as 1/sqrt(SWTIN), or scale with NOISR to obtain the
noise for the current weighting.
I know that this number is logged as "UVWAIT: Sum of weights in XXX", but
writing in into the header would make it easily accessible for scripts.

By the way: Is there a (moderately easy) way to determine the ungridded uv
chi^2, say from a residual uv data set created by IMAGR? I am currently
doing this with my own software or in DIFMAP and wonder if it can be done
with AIPS.

Cheers,
Olaf