[daip] AIPS HELP

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Jun 19 10:29:29 EDT 2008

aletdewitt at webmail.co.za wrote:
> I did all the steps up to SPLIT. In the SPLIT step I calibrated the LINE
> data using the appropriate CL, FG and BP tables and created single source
> UV files for my non-calibrator source only. I did this seperately for both
> frequency IDs, creating two catalog files of class SPLIT. Is this the
> correct prcedure?.
> I will now go on to "CLEANING IMAGE CUBES" - do I use these newly created
> SPLIT files only or will I make use of the CHO files again - it does not
> specify this in the cookbook or am I missing something?

Generally the CH0 files are no longer used.  I tend to run UVLSF at this
point to make continuum free line data and also (DOOUT=1) a continuum UV
data set.  Imaging that continuum may produce an interesting image and
perhaps even allow self-cal, further editing, etc.  The resulting SN and
FG tables may be copied to the line data sets and applied to them.  If
there is a lot of continuum. it may be best to image the BASFIT output
from UVLSF. copy the SN/FG to the SPLIT files, run SPLIT on them
applying the SN/FG, then run UVSUB to subtract the continuum using the
model you developed for the continuum.

This is a more complicated method but should be considered after you
experiment a bit.