[daip] questions regarding prtan and imagr

Hiroko Shinnaga shinnaga at caltech.edu
Tue Jun 3 06:07:54 EDT 2008

Dear Eric,

   Thank you very much for your kind response to my questions.
All the tools that you mentioned are useful.
   Conclusion is that somehow the problem was gone now.
I calibrate the data a bit differently and that might have helped
fixing the problem.  Everything looks working properly.

> Try the task PRTAB on your INEXT='AN' file.  My bet is that you
> have only 8 rows in that table.  The AN file is not used a great
> deal - it provides labels for antennas in plotting tasks but that
> is not essential and the tasks should run without them.  The only
> task that requires the AN table in a completely essential way is
> UVFIX.  You cannot run that task without an AN table that is correct.

You are right.  I found only 8 antennas there.  It's good to know
that the antenna table matters only when we do "uvfix".

> The weights are with the data - displayed by PRTUV etc.  Check them
> that way.  The weighting in IMAGR is wuite complex - it does the
> weight summing and normalizing starting with the weights in the
> data samples themselves.  Note that those weights are assumed to be
> proportional to 1/uncertainty squared.

I tried "PRTUV" and confirmed that all weightings look reasonable now.
Result images look reasonable and very nice.
It's good to know that I can use PRTUV if this kind of weird things
happen.

   Thanks very much again.  I appreciate your great help.

Hiroko