[daip] question about aipstv

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 22 18:58:22 EDT 2008

Kelley McDonald wrote:
> have a user that can't get XAS to run on his linux box, here is the
> output from aips when it tries to start:
>
> XAS: ***********************************
> XAS: **  No TrueColor found
> XAS: **  Resorting to PseudoColor
> XAS: ***********************************
> XAS: No pseudocolor visual - No suitable visual: No such file or
> directory
>
> Any idea how to correct this (seems like it ought to be a simple thing).
>
> Thanks,
> Kelley

The aips manager FAQ addresses this:

from http://www.aips.nrao.edu/aipsmgr

Basically Linux machines come with "16bit TrueColor" as the one X11
visual.  I could have made XAS support this but then most aips users
would be looking at images from 0-31 when they could have 0-255 in all 3
colors.  You need to change the default visual to 32-bit or 24-bit
TrueColor, whichever is available for his OS and terminal.  Then a
reboot will cure things (or maybe just logout and back in).