[daip] FITS-IDI

James M Anderson anderson at mpifr-bonn.mpg.de
Fri Jul 18 10:18:11 EDT 2008

Hello.

It is becoming apparent that the new aperture array instruments such
as LOFAR, MWA, LWA, and so on, have some characteristics which do not
quite fit the current FITS-IDI specification.  Some current problem
areas include such things as our telescope mount types are not
included, we will have multiple simultaneous observing beams, and will
also have multiple simultaneous correlation directions within
individual beams.  I have been in contact with some of the
representatives from other instruments, and we believe that it would
be a good idea to update the FITS-IDI specification to accommodate our
datasets, so that we can continue to strive toward having a common
data exchange format.

Do you know how we would go about proposing modifications to the
FITS-IDI format?  Who is currently in charge of that?

Thanks for your information.

James M Anderson

Dr James M Anderson                   MPIfR
LOFAR Postdoc                         Auf dem Huegel 69
e-mail: anderson at mpifr-bonn.mpg.de    53121 Bonn
Telephone: +49 228 525 356            Germany