[daip] AIPS imagr question

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Jul 16 13:41:11 EDT 2008

Stockdale, Christopher wrote:
> Eric,
>
> I am working with a summer student (Cyrus, cc'd in message) and he's been
> doing very with AIPS all summer, but we've run into a snag.
>
> We are trying to image from a split file and getting an odd message.  He
> had attempted a first pass and wanted to go back and re-image the data.
> When re-imaging, we encountered a file management problem (I think).
> We have deleted all of the previous images related to the split file and
> re-split file from the multi-source dataset.
>
> Still same problem.
>
> Here are the IMAGR output and input for the file.  If you need more, let
> me know.  I can't seem to find a fault in the inputs or the procedure.
>
> Any thoughts you might have would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris
>
> IMAGR1: Task IMAGR  (release of 31DEC08) begins
> IMAGR1: Doing no flagging this time
> IMAGR1: Create 02HHX23JAN06.IMAGR .   1 (UV)  on disk  8  cno   11
> IMAGR1: Beginning channel    1 through    1 with  2 IFs
> IMAGR1: IMACPY: Copied    35008 visibilities to be imaged
> IMAGR1: QINIT: did a GET  of    5120 Kwords, OFF         14914923
> IMAGR1: UVWAIT: begin finding uniform weights
> IMAGR1: UVWAIT: Average grid weight  6.560E+00
> IMAGR1: UVWAIT: Adding temperance S  1.312E+00
> IMAGR1: UVWAIT: begin applying uniform or other weights
> IMAGR1: UVWAIT: Sum of weights in  1.850E+03 and out  4.410E+03
> IMAGR1: UVWAIT: Noise is increased by a factor 1.260 due to weighting
> IMAGR1: UVWAIT: Average summed weight  6.560E+00 over      70016 vis
> IMAGR1: Create 02HHX23JAN06.IBM001.   1 (MA)  on disk  7  cno   48
> IMAGR1: ZCREAT: FILE DA07:CBD01D001.1ZP; ALREADY EXISTS
> IMAGR1: CATDIR: WARNING - AN OLD HEADER FILE WAS PRESENT
> IMAGR1: ZCREAT: FILE DA07:MAD01D001.1ZP; ALREADY EXISTS
> IMAGR1: ZCREAT ERROR     1 FOR 02HHX23JAN06.ICL001.   1
> IMAGR1: CATDIR: INCOMPLETE ID ON CLOSE OF CATNO    49
> IMAGR1: IMCRET: ERROR  5 CREATING OUTPUT FILE
> IMAGR1: IMCRET: ERROR CREATING IMAGE CLEAN field number 0001
> IMAGR1: CLNOPN: ERROR OPENING CLEAN process object

You have managed to get a file which exists but is not in the catalog.
IMAGR comes along - sees the empty catalog entry position 49 and tries
to fill it.  It fails and exits leaving 49 empty for the next imagr to
fail again.  The easiest thing to do is to go to your disk 7 data area

cd <data 7 area>
ls -l ??D01D*.1ZP\;
rm ??D01D*.1ZP\;

this will delete the rogue file(s) and let you get on with things.  It
would be possible to recover the rogue file but probably not worth the
extra work and worry.