[daip] VPLOT model plot.

Craig Walker cwalker at nrao.edu
Thu Jul 10 11:16:09 EDT 2008

Eric Greisen wrote:
> Craig Walker wrote:
>> When plotting models on the data with VPLOT with NMAPS < 0 for a
>> smooth plot, the model is there most, but not all, of the time.  There
>> seem to be periods when it just stops being plotted.  This is for
>> phase.  The vanished model seems to be for periods when the absolute
>> value of the phase would be above about 100 deg (happens on both sides
>> of zero). When self scaling, it sometimes plots the data on a range up
>> to over 400 degrees and, in those cases, very little of the model
>> shows, so I think this is consistent with staying between -100 and +100.
>>
>> This is happening on my Linux box with data on Fred's box.  Since this
>> is a fixed machine at NRAO, I presume the midnight job is up-to-date.
>>
>> The data are on SUM-FDAVIES_1 under user 542.  This is plotting of a
>> CC table attached to a UV data set.
>>
>> You might hear more later about the amplitudes as the model from UVFIT
>> doesn't match the data at all.  But I just noticed that and haven't
>> got it figured out yet.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Craig
>>
>> Here are the inputs:
>>
>> inp vplot
>> AIPS 1: VPLOT     Plots data from a u,v data base, model from a CC file
>> AIPS 1: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
>> AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
>> AIPS 1: USERID        0                    Data base owner number
>> AIPS 1: INNAME     'BW090LM84'             Input UV file name (name)
>> AIPS 1: INCLASS    'SPLIT4'                Input UV file name (class)
>> AIPS 1: INSEQ         1                    Input UV file name (seq. #)
>> AIPS 1: INDISK        3                    Input UV file disk unit #
>> AIPS 1: IN2NAME    'BW090LM84'             Input CC file name (name)
>> AIPS 1: IN2CLASS   'SPLIT4'                Input CC file name (class)
>> AIPS 1: IN2SEQ        1                    Input CC file name (seq. #)
>> AIPS 1: IN2DISK       3                    Input CC file disk unit #
>> AIPS 1: IN2VERS       1                    Input CC file version #
>> AIPS 1: NCOMP      *all 0                  # comps to use for model.
>> AIPS 1:                                    1 value per field
>> AIPS 1:                                    total 25000 CCs maximum
>> AIPS 1: FLUX          0                    Lowest CC component used.
>> AIPS 1: NMAPS        -1                    # clean maps (fields).
>> AIPS 1:                                    0 => no model
>> AIPS 1:                                    >0 => model at samples
>> AIPS 1:                                    <0 => model smoothly
>> AIPS 1:                                    Data selection:
>> AIPS 1: SOURCES    *all ' '                Source list
>> AIPS 1: QUAL         -1                    Source qualifier -1=>all
>> AIPS 1: CALCODE    ' '                     Calibrator code '    '=>all
>> AIPS 1: SELBAND      -1                    Bandwidth to select (kHz)
> [...]

That's unfortunate.  Our data is roughly equivalent to 4 or 5 scans
spread across the day - we were mainly imaging another source.  When
NMAPS>0, the model is only calculated for the actual data points, but a
line connecting those points is plotted.  True, that line seems to
always be there.  But it does not reflect what the phases are actually
doing in the gaps.  If there is a significant change between scans, as
there is in some of our data, the line will not reflect the right wrap
direction and the result is rather deceptive.  What should be a simple
smooth model has some weird kinks in it.  That is true of our M84 data.
  It was also true of the data that caused me to find the scaling
problem with the case of a CC component on a UV data set.  I finally
understood what the crazy looking model plot was trying to say when I
went to NMAPS<1 and saw the rapid phase winding.  Clearly the program
knows how to calculate the model properly for nmaps<1.  The difficulty
seems to be in putting the result on the plot.

Cheers,

Craig

     R. Craig Walker            Array Operations Center
     cwalker at nrao.edu           National Radio Astronomy Observatory
     Phone  505 835 7247        P. O. Box O
     Fax    505 835 7027        Socorro NM 87801   USA