[daip] making models

Ian McHardy imh at astro.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jul 9 14:33:26 EDT 2008

Hello,

I want to do a few simulations to find out what sort of a map I would have
made, with a variety of different VLA observational set-ups (eg taken from
given real observations) of some model radio source.

So my first task, which I'd like to ask about here, is to make the model
radio source in such a form that it can be easily inserted into a variety
of datasets. Here I might be thinking of a few small scale components near
a nucleus and some larger components further out.

I think I know how to insert clean components from a previous real
observation into a uv dataset with uvsub. However if I want to put in a
second set of ccpts, I have to run uvsub again, and if I want to put in
some model that I have made up - which I do - then I can only see a way of
including one model component at a time with smodel. Clearly this process
is not feasible if I want to repeat it many times.

Maybe I can write a complex run-file which will run uvsub many times but
is there is a simpler way of including not just one, but a whole load of
man-made model components at one time?

many thanks,
Ian McHardy