[daip] convert ra-dec to az-el

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Jul 7 16:49:24 EDT 2008

Niruj Mohan Ramanujam wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if there is a task in AIPS or in some other public
> software which can convert an (all sky) image in RA-Dec to an
> azimuth-elevation image for a given place and time ?

Actually there is not in AIPS.  It is not a useful coordinate for
ordinary images for reasons given below.  I could see how it might be
useful for very low frequency imaging but we do not have it.

For one - the image probably took some time to observe as so the azimuth
and elevation change while observing.  This is quite amazing in
single-dish observing where constant elevation tracks are done.  The
resulting image in sky coordinates is distinctly non rectangular.
Therefore we have not made a verb to mess with headers in that way.  It
could be done I suppose but it would be a can of worms if users actually
started believing it.