[daip] Scaling problem for model in VPLOT

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Jul 4 19:05:45 EDT 2008

Craig Walker wrote:
> We were running UVFIT which leaves a CC table attached to the UV data
> set.  We then tried to plot the data and model using VPLOT.  That works,
> but there is clearly a scaling problem of some sort with the model.  The
> model line shows phase winds at an extremely high rate (seconds) when it
> should have a turn or two across the day.  We then copied the CC table
> to an image that had been made from that data set and re-ran VPLOT,
> pointing to the CC table now attached to the image (exactly the same CC
> table that was attached to the UV data set).  Now the plot comes out fine.
>
> A probably-related problem occurs with PRTCC.  When printing the CC
> table from UVFIT when it is attached to the image file (after TACOP), it
> shows normally.  When printing it while attached to the UV data, the
> positions are in units of kilo-arcsec and the position values all show
> as 0.00.
>
> I suspect that both PRTCC and VPLOT get some sort of scaling information
> from the header that is not really available for a UV data set.  Somehow
> this doesn't cause a crash, but does cause massive confusion about the
> meaning of the position offsets.

PRTCC used the image axes to set print scales (deg, arc sec, milli
arcsec) and modeling software made deep assumptions that CCs are only on
images.  I think I fixed it to the level that UVSUB seems to work as
well as VPLOT and PRTCC.  Also fixed a phase flipping problem with plot
scales not having been applied to the model plot.

Cheers,