[daip] Question about the availble volume in hard disk

Cheng-Yu Kuo ck2v at cms.mail.virginia.edu
Thu Jul 3 11:58:21 EDT 2008

          To whom it may concern:

        My name is Chengyu Kuo, a graduate student at UVa astronomy
department.
I have a strange problem in AIPS: My external hard disk have a space of ~300
GB
for AIPS data. However, whenever the used disk space in AIPS exceed ~16% or
17% of the
total volume, AIPS functions in a strange way. I can no longer copy tables
within or
to other datasets, or when I use FITLD to read in new datasets,  AIPS would
seems
keep running, but the data is not actually read in (I checked this by typing
"free", and I
can see that the disk space used is not increasing).

        Since I just installed the new external hard disk relatively
recently (less than
two months), I am wondering whether I set any wrong, or there might be lots
of hidden
files that may occupy the rest of space?? (I am working on a VLBA project,
and I have
several ~ 9GB datasets. I would guess some of the scratch files would be
big).

        Thank you for your help!

regards
chengyu