[daip] Problems with RDV66

David Gordon dgg at gemini.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Jan 22 11:55:43 EST 2008

Craig, et al,

I'm having problems with RDV66 (2007-DEC-05). I downloaded the archive
files last week and tried to read them into AIPS. FITLD aborts with the
following message for either file (X or S band):

leo.gs> FITLD1: Task FITLD  (release of 31DEC07) begins
leo.gs> FITLD1: Found          observed on BAD DATE
leo.gs> FITLD1: UV data will be written in compressed format
leo.gs> FITLD1: Create RDV66X      .FITLD .   1 (UV)  on disk  4  cno    3
leo.gs> FITLD1: Warning: table type OB is of zero length
leo.gs> FITLD1: UVINIT: LREC, NPIO =      3      0 ILLEGAL
leo.gs> FITLD1: UVINIT: OR NVIS, BUFSZ, OR BO =         0 101376      1 ILLEGAL
leo.gs> FITLD1: ERROR      2 RETURNED FROM FITRXU
leo.gs> FITLD1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
leo.gs> FITLD1: leo          31DEC07 TST: Cpu=       1.3  Real=       1

BAD DATE? - sounds like its corrupted somehow. Has there been any change in
data formats in the last few months? I saw there was a patch for 31DEC07 FITLD,
but there seems to be nothing at the specified FTP area. And it didn't look
relevant anyway.

I also tried reading in the FITS IDI files that Leonid downloaded. Some of them
seem to be corrupted. I can read the first 8 (of 20) files, then FITLD aborts
with a 'ZABORS: signal 11 received' message. I can read most, but not all,
of the other files, but I can't get them into a single output file. Is there
some way to stitch them together?

David