[daip] DAT drives, AIPS, and a Macintosh

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Jan 16 10:30:17 EST 2008

Geoffrey Bower writes:

 > I'm looking at purchasing a Mac with DDS drive for loading VLBA FITS
 > data.  Do you (or does anyone) have any experience with making this work
 > AIPS?  Any recommendations on hardware, drivers, etc?

My only experience is that AIPS requires separate Z routines for tapes
for every architecture for which they were implemented.  They have
never been implemented for Macs which is a shame.  FITS backups are
still a very good idea even if the input data can usually be obtained
by copying files over the Internet.  But an aips implementation will
probably be "interesting" - perhaps in the Chinese torture sort of
way.