[daip] AIPS without rsync?

Kimberly Engle kae at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Jan 14 11:47:19 EST 2008

Hi Eric,

Awesome, thanks! One more thing though, my user would like the
31Dec07 frozen version rather than the new one. Could you make
that version available too? How long is "temporary"? Will this
disappear in hours or months, or somewhere in between?

I haven't carefully read through the install.pl script... is it
now possible for me to edit it and replace the rsync command with
ftp and then the install would work?

It would be great if you folks could allow some choice between
rsync, ftp, svn, or whatever. Thanks!! I'll give the installation
a go when my user gets here (funny how she needs it "right away"
then isn't here today) and let you know if I have any problems.

Kim

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, Eric Greisen wrote:

> As a temporary solution, I am making a copy of the entire rsync area
> on the public ftp site:
>
>       ftp.aoc.nrao.edu/pub/software/aips/31DEC08B/
>
> This has all the MACPPC and MACINT binary areas as well as all the
> source code etc.  (It also has LINUX and SUL binaries.)  I am assuming
> that you can manage from this point to force an installation.  For a
> longer term solution, we will look into either replacing rsync witch
> svs or setting up some way to allow a choice.
>
> The public ftp will allow you to manage the short term need and give
> us time to figure out the best way to manage this.  One issue, our svs
> server is now in Charlottesville and we serve aips from Socorro.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Eric Greisen

Kimberly Anne Engle              | "Ooooh... there's so much I don't know
Code 660.2  Bldg. 21  Rm. 27     |  about astrophysics! I wish I read that
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center |  book by that wheelchair guy."  -HJS
phone: (301)286-3016             | email: kae at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
fax: (301)286-1753               | www: http://universe.gsfc.nasa.gov/~kae