[daip] VLBAUTIL vlbapcor procedure

Yuri Y. Kovalev ykovalev at mpifr-bonn.mpg.de
Tue Jan 8 18:53:36 EST 2008

Dear Amy,

I have a different view on the whole reason to have the phase cals in
the first place, but I can be wrong and in any case this is not
important for our discussion. What you describe below is the second
order effect which I always keep in mind. FRING will take care on this
residual effect, if any. This will certainly *not*damage* the data.
I guess there are experiments for which it could be important, but not
many (they can easily avoid using vlbapcor). However, there are many
experiments with short enough scans.

In my case it has indeed damaged the data. Believe it or not, I have
lost some IFs of a short K-band scan on 3C279 because of this effect.
That is how I discovered the problem.
(I did vlbapcor and then FRING.)

Again, it is completely up to you to decide what is the best approach in
vlbapcor. My claim is that the 31DEC07 version with 'self' could and has
already damaged data. And I do not think a potential problem will be so
severe for the '2PT' approach.

Many thanks for your work on vlbautils.

Cheers,
Yuri.