[daip] aips 31DEC07 -- missing MSGSERVER etc

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Jan 2 10:54:12 EST 2008

Joe Cammisa writes:

 > greetings, eric.  i wanted to inform you that apparently some time away
 > from the computers helped clear my mind enough to come up with a simple
 > workaround to the issue we had been discussing.  specifically, when i
 > looked over the output of my redhat software upgrade immediately preceding
 > the problem, i saw that the local version of the xterm software had gone
 > from xterm-215-4.el5 to xterm-215-5.el5; therefore the most simple
 > solution was to yank this newer version and replace it with the one from
 > the original  installation media.  once that was done, no more link errors
 > occurred upon starting the msgserv or tekserv processes and everyone is
 > happy once again.  hopefully this "trick" will not hurt in unexpected ways
 > down the road (though i doubt it, as end users don't typically use xterm);
 > also hopefully this information might prove useful for you or others in
 > the future.  thanks again for your prompt response and input on this issue
 > under fire.  best regards,

Thanks for the note.  I hope this doesn't become a generally required
"solution" since we try to avoid having special OS installations for
AIPS.  It is bad enough asking for shared memory, XWindows, and
services changes that are just parameterizations.

I am also suprised that the end users do not use xterms.  The command
term used to abort aips if one hit an Enter with the caps lock on (or
a shift) since "capital Enter" and "lower-case Enter" actually
produced different signals to the software and GNU readline could not
handle the upper case one.  Is there some other kind of "term" that
people use?