[daip] AIPS on lustre

Kit Westneat cwestnea at indiana.edu
Mon Feb 25 15:17:10 EST 2008

I am no expert on flock, but basically it seems like it tries to prevent
two processes from opening the same file at the same time. The
ramifications of having only a localflock is that different Lustre
clients won't be able to tell if a client on another machine has locked
the file. As long as you do all of your work on one machine, say batman,
then the file locking will work like normal. But if you do some stuff on
Big Red too, the Big Red processes won't be able to tell if the file is
open on batman, and vice-versa.

If you take care though, there shouldn't be any problems from using a
local flock.

HTH,
Kit