[daip] Renumber: Catalogued Files Disappear

Casey Coffey ccoffey at fit.edu
Thu Feb 14 14:07:40 EST 2008

Hello!

I am using AIPS DEC07 with the latest version of Red Hat.

I was attempting to clean up my data area from within AIPS by
grouping UV and image files of the same objects together, using the
command RENUMBER, and then eventually RECAT.  However, before running
RENUMBER (or RECAT) for the first time, I failed to realize that
RENUMBER is specified for use with image files (and not necessarily
UV files). I do not know if that is the cause of my problem, which is:

I attempted to move a CALIB file from catalog number 113 to catalog
number 116 using RENUMBER. Catalog number 116 was an empty slot, with
no file at that number. I ran RENUMBER, and then used the command
PCAT to make sure the file had been moved appropriately. The file was
moved to catalog number 116, however every file with a catalog number
less than 116 no longer shows up!  There are a number of files that
still, correctly, show up after number 116.

Have you heard of this before? Do you have a solution? I am afraid to
touch anything or try any other commands for fear of losing my work.

Thank you!
Casey