[daip] DAT drives, AIPS, and a Macintosh

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Feb 5 12:34:01 EST 2008

Kelley McDonald writes:
 > Hey Eric,
 >
 > We thought you might like to know that we managed to successfully get
 > the 31DEC07B aips binary to run on Mac OSX Leopard (not that we tried
 > to get the tape drives to work, but that is another issue, most all other
 > apps seem to work okay, I was really worried about the aipsTV because of the
 > major change to X11 implementation in 10.5, but it appears to work just fine).
 >
 > In any event, mac osx's implementation of NIS is brain dead and we had to put
 > all the entries for /etc/services in the local file because osx doesn't seem to
 > really care about what is in the yp maps (add to that that the default
 > /etc/services had some of the ports for aips assigned to other applications).

The assignment to other things doesn't matter so long as the other
things do not run on your machine.  We have hit some application
however which did hit one user, I forget which.  The problem is that
service numbers get claimed by all sorts of apps that then disappear
entirely but the claim lingers forever.  Maybe we should claim some.
Actually any set of numbers that are coherent around the site in which
services should be shared are fine.

I suppose we should some day test tapes on Macs but so far no money to
do so.

Thanks,