[daip] MOJAVE BL149BE 512 Mbps problems summary

Yuri Y. Kovalev ykovalev at mpifr-bonn.mpg.de
Fri Dec 26 19:31:35 EST 2008

Dear Eric,

Many many thanks!! That was quick!

Re. flagging while doing vlbafix.
Unfortunately, sometimes one needs to unflag data which are flagged in
the initial FG table. For an example, I could refer to the following:
"HN data flagged due to ellipsoid disconnect; data OK." in
http://www.vlba.nrao.edu/astro/VOBS/astronomy/apr08/bk151/sniffer/BK151.20080407.sniff
or "NL ellipsoid, false flagging of data" in
http://www.vlba.nrao.edu/astro/VOBS/astronomy/may08/bl149ai/bl149ailog.vlba
or "NL ellipsoid falsely flagging data." in
http://www.vlba.nrao.edu/astro/VOBS/astronomy/jul08/bl149ak/bl149aklog.vlba
I got a recommendation from NRAO analysts to unflag such data.
If I use the suggested vlbaload, I would be unable to do it.

Sometimes I need to understand why there is no data for certain scans at
telescopes which are claimed to be OK in logs. E.g., in recent BK150D a
"Subreflector error" flag was flagging out some scans with no indication
of such a problem in logs. I unflagged it and got important telescope
back (SC) for a scan on a bright calibrator. Even if the amplitude is a
bit off (it was not at C band), I successfully used it as a calibrator
for phase, crosspol, bpass.

I would suggest not to apply FG in vlbaload.
Another way would be to make it as an additional parameter for
vlbafix -- apply or not apply FG table.

I had a similar discussion half a year ago about AIPS friendly fits
files which are provided by the NRAO archive. As of now, as far as I
see, they are provided with the FG table, uv data are not flagged out
initially.

With best wishes and thank you again!
Yuri.