[daip] Help in imagr

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Sat Dec 6 19:26:18 EST 2008

Oozeer Nadeem wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have compile aips 31Dec 08 on a linux x64 running SuSE with gcc (SUSE
> Linux) 4.3.1 20080507 (prerelease) [gcc-4_3-branch revision 135036] and
> seems tocompile with no error except some warnings...I could start aips
> and work with it except for imagr ...once launched imagr does not stop
> even if niter set !!! even running imagr with dotv=1, clicking on stop
> does not stop imagr I have to break the job!!! Can you please help me
> out...this is not the first time i have installed and used aips but
> first time seeing this !!!
>
> Thanxs in advance
> Regards

I did not know that they were continuing to allow g77 at the 4.x level.
  My understanding is that 4.x is gfortran not g77.  We have tested a
gfortran 4.2.? which seemed to work nominally.  You are exploring a
space that we were unaware even existed.

We normally recommend that you take binary installations unless you are
developing your own aips tasks.  The Intel compiler we use is too
expensive for most sites but we are allowed to ship binaries which the
vast majority of our sites now use.  Thes Intel-compiled binaries run
much faster on Pentium chips than do the binaries compiled under g77.