[daip] displaying AIPS TV from GB for a SOC machine

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Sun Aug 31 15:56:28 EDT 2008

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 07:29:49 -0600, dfrail at nrao.edu said:

> I am on a machine called thalassa in GB and want to use
> sum-bbreslau in SOC. I set "xhost +" and ssh to Socorro.

This hasn't been necessary in years, and in fact exposes you in ways you
may not want (e.g., anyone within NRAO can capture your screen and
keystrokes invisibly).

The ssh command on most NRAO computers will automatically forward X11
for you, but Wes is right, the -Y option will force this in case it's
not set.  And Amy is right too; on thalassa, you should start a local
AIPS session:

   . /home/aips/LOGIN.SH
   aips

> I then start up aips on sum-bbreslau with tv=thalassa.

If the TV is already running on thalassa, do this instead on the Socorro
machine:

   aips tv=thalassa.gb.nrao.edu tvok

The Socorro machine's DNS does not include gb.nrao.edu in the search
path so a fully qualified domain name is needed.

A less efficient fallback option is to use "tv=local" on the AOC machine
and not start anything on the GB one.  However, you'll find that moving
pixels via X11 is a lot slower than letting AIPS move the information
and have XAS display them locally.

After typing all this, I noticed the dates of the messages; it's
probably too late :-/

 - Pat