[daip] FIXBX bug?

Andy Biggs abiggs at eso.org
Fri Aug 29 08:43:39 EDT 2008

Hi Amy. Sorry to bother you again, but I may have found a bug in FIXBX.
Firstly, I should say that this is a wonderful task that's made my life
a lot easier. However, after changing my faceting scheme (moving to a
larger cellsize and therefore covering a larger area of the sky) and
using FIXBX to re-set my clean boxes, I've found that certain fields in
my map are not being cleaned by IMAGR, despite them containing sources.

On closer examination it turns out that the output boxfile from FIXBX
contained clean boxes for these fields which didn't correspond to any
sources in the field. I've done some tests that show that the problem is
probably occurring when FIXBX comes across a situation where, after
mapping the clean boxes to the new faceting scheme, a field does not
contain any 'new' clean boxes. If that field number has 'old' clean
boxes from the previous faceting scheme then it leaves them in place.
These naturally don't correspond to any emission in the new field
resulting in IMAGR never trying to clean that field even if it contains
bright sources. FIXBX should, of course, either write out no boxes for
that field or write out one as large as the field itself. At least, I
think this is what is going on. Otherwise, FIXBX is working perfectly.

In some ways, this problem mimics that in CCEDT where the old clean
components are left in place if the output file would contain none.

Cheers,

Andy

--

Andy Biggs