[daip] clean component filtering

Andy Biggs abiggs at eso.org
Thu Aug 21 06:47:36 EDT 2008

Hi there. I'm having a difficult time at the moment with some map
making. I have a lot of maps to make and I want to do it in as
*automated* a fashion as possible. I am doing a wide-field deep clean at
21cm and am using a fly's-eye faceting approach. The problem is that
some of the facets do not contain any sources which results in them
ending up with lots of weak, spurious clean components which I want to
exclude from CALIB (this is before each epoch is combined together with
STUFFR).

My favoured way of dealing with this would be to run CCEDT. However, it
seems that in those fields where all the clean components would be
(correctly) rejected, CCEDT doesn't do what I would like it to, and
which I think it should, which is to write out a new *empty* CC table.

I've tried various other approaches, such as flagging the entries using
TAFLG, but that caused CALIB to do some very strange things, mainly only
using a small and somewhat random number of the many fields. I've tried
running IMAGR with the filtering option (IMAGRPRM(8,9)) but this didn't
seem to do anything at all i.e. IMAGR didn't even begin (nothing
appeared in the MSGSRV and no activity was reported by 'top'). One thing
that sort of worked was to set field cards as 'F -1 -1 0 0' in BOXFILE
which prevented IMAGR placing a box in that field. However, you then
need to tell IMAGR the size of the field through IMSIZE and you can only
do this once i.e. if you have different sized fields (which I do) you
can't really do this. Also, you need to know in advance which fields
aren't going to have any sources.

Anyway, I was wondering if you agree that CCEDT should write out an
empty CC table if no components are selected? I think that that would
help me a lot.

Thanks,

Andy

p.s. I'm running a very recently midnight-jobbed version of 31DEC08 on a
MacBook Pro.

--

Andy Biggs
ESO, ALMA Regional Centre