[daip] installation question

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 13 13:13:31 EDT 2007

Tim Paglione writes:

 > I am trying to install AIPS (31DEC06) on my Linux PC, installed and set
 > the paths in the right places for the 2.95.3 compiler, but the XAS setup

   the first suggestion would be to use the binary version of AIPS
rather than compile it yourself.  You have already downloaded
install.pl.  Simply enter

        perl install.pl -n

and it will do the binary installation instead.  The load modules will
execute faster than the gnu-compiled ones.  I have an answer to the
specific problem which I will list below:

 > bombs.  The messages I get are:
 >
 > /usr/local/bin/gcc  -D_BSD -DUSE_SHM -O2 -c xas.c
 > In file included from xas.c:31:
 > xas.h:52: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
 > xas.h:53: X11/Xutil.h: No such file or directory
 > xas.h:54: X11/keysym.h: No such file or directory
 > In file included from xas.c:31:
 > xas.h:81: X11/extensions/XShm.h: No such file or directory
 > make: *** [xas.o] Error 1
 > AipsWiz: Error: Failed to build the XAS program.
 > AipsWiz: Error: This means no AIPS TV will be available.

What it is looking for is a set of X11 include files that are
installed only when one installs the X11 "developer" RPM.  This
consists of a file in /usr/include

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root root        20 Jun  6 15:13 X11 -> ../X11R6/include/X11/

and in /usr/X11R6/include/X11

ap_keysym.h   cursorfont.h  keysymdef.h  ShellP.h      Xarch.h   Xdmcp.h       Xlibint.h  Xpoll.h
bitmaps/      DECkeysym.h   keysym.h     SM/           Xatom.h   XF86keysym.h  Xlocale.h  Xproto.h
Composite.h   extensions/   Object.h     StringDefs.h  Xauth.h   Xft/          Xmd.h      Xprotostr.h
CompositeP.h  fonts/        ObjectP.h    Sunkeysym.h   Xaw/      Xfuncproto.h  Xmu/       Xresource.h
ConstrainP.h  HPkeysym.h    PM/          Vendor.h      Xaw3d/    Xfuncs.h      Xosdefs.h  Xthreads.h
Constraint.h  ICE/          RectObj.h    VendorP.h     Xcms.h    X.h           Xos.h      Xutil.h
Core.h        Intrinsic.h   RectObjP.h   X10.h         Xcursor/  XKBlib.h      Xos_r.h    XWDFile.h
CoreP.h       IntrinsicP.h  Shell.h      Xalloca.h     Xdefs.h   Xlib.h        xpm.h

The compile it yourself option also requires the "developers" RPM for
ncurses.