[daip] integrated flux error equation

Casey Law claw at science.uva.nl
Tue Sep 11 13:03:36 EDT 2007

Hello daip,
  I am trying to reproduce the error analysis of source detection algorithms
in AIPS (JMFIT and SAD).  I can't find an explicit description of how the
integrated flux error is calculated, but the funny thing is that I do see a
trend between the peak flux error and the integrated flux error like this:

err_Si = err_Sp * (A_src/A_beam + 0.75),

where A_src/A_beam is the ratio of the area of the source to the area of the
beam.
  When I plot up the fluxes normalized by the beam like this, I see a tight
correlation (particularly with the 0.75).  Is this the actual error equation
used in AIPS source detection?  Or do you have any ideas why this
correlation would exist?

    many thanks,
        casey