[daip] Spectral Index maps

Amy Mioduszewski amiodusz at nrao.edu
Fri Oct 26 11:16:03 EDT 2007

O.K., you've hit on a major pet peeve of mine.  In order to make a realistic
spectral index map you should not "taper and convolved the data to the same
beam" you should put a model for the image for the lower frequency through the
uv coverage of the higher frequency (and then convolve the beam to the lower
frequency).  Yes, uv coverage matters and make a big difference.  Simply
convolving the data to the same beam misses the fact that you have fewer short
spacings at the higher frequency, therefore you miss flux that might be there
and *artificially* have a more negative spectral index than is real.  This is
particularly important for VLBI arrays that are relatively sparsely populated.

Anyway, I can give you detailed instructions on how to do this if you want.

Amy