[daip] AIPS error

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 17 17:32:45 EDT 2007

James Robnett writes:

 >      Can I get a little more background(1) on
 > what's being opened here.
 >
 >      Is the file 'pathname' a file that gets created
 > once somewhere early on and *always* exists
 > or does it get created-destroyed-created-destroyed
 > repeatedly with the caveat that when this
 > code below is reached it should be in the 'created'
 > state ?
 >
 >      If that's the case any ideas how much time
 > elapses between destroyed-created-error thrown ?
 >
 > james
 >
 > 1) I know you've been through this ... bear
 > with me, I want to make sure I have it
 > straight.

We are complaining only about files that should pre-exist, needless to
say.  Sometimes this code does get called when the file is not known
to exist as an existence check.  The files we are complaining about
are (1) sometimes (e.g. TD and TC) created by SYSETUP when you run
that on a machine when it is first enabled for AIPS and should never
disappear, (2) sometimes files that are created at the start of some
aips session including today or many many days ago and are deleted
only when they get completely empty (e.g. CA or MS files), and (3)
files that have been created in the current job and which should
remain until and perhaps after the job finishes.  In all cases, the
file must exist or the task would not have reached the point it has
reached, but on a re-open (perhaps initial open I do not know) the
system tells the program that ENOENT.

It is not our software's fault.  This is a new error on old code.

We are not in the repeated created/destroyed mode ever - it is too
expensive.  (Creation including filling with 0's takes real time.)

Eric