[daip] AIPS Query

dbgob at brandeis.edu dbgob at brandeis.edu
Tue Oct 9 15:23:39 EDT 2007

Hello,

After this conversation with Eric yesterday I realized I missed the
appendix on Line mode, which was most helpful. I have 2 more questions
which I hope for good answers to.

1.) I tried using CLIP and CLIPM. CLIP does not let me select a source
and seems to work on all sources, creating a CLIP file, but seems to
not have flagged data. When I used CLIPM I gave it parameters based on
uncalibrated data I wanted to flag but no matter what inputs I give it
(only gave it min/max for parallel/cross) it seems to flag everything.
Ideas?

2.) Recently we have started to work with BLCAL in the office. This
works great for a strong source like 3C48 and so I wanted to take it
to data sets with just pointy phase calibrators. I choose a set I was
working on recently which had data washed out by symmetry noise from
the array. I calibrated my data, read it out of AIPS, cleaned and
selfcaled the phase calibrator in Difmap, then brought the fits file
back into AIPS, and used it as the model for BLCAL on the phase
calibrator. The manual says I need at least 100:1 to do this and by my
estimates this source has 3000:1 and should work fine. Splitting off
the primary source using my new BL table I was able to get rid of the
noise that was pestering me before, but I am troubled that the UV plot
looks very distorted. Have I done something wrong? Is my source
fidelity not good enough? Improper use of the task?

Thanks much.

~Doug

----- Forwarded message from egreisen at nrao.edu -----