[daip] Error messages on AIPS startup

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Oct 9 13:35:51 EDT 2007

Buckner M Creel V writes:
 > Greetings.
 >      I have looked through the Cookbook trying to figure out the following messages which appear when I startup AIPS.  I assume they deal with corrupted catalog entries(?):
 >
 >  ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND

  This means that the aips manager (user 1) has never started aips to
create a default message file.  Generally this does not matter.

 > AIPS 1: ZDCHIN: NO NETSP ENTRY FOR DA01
 > AIPS 1: THIS MEANS THE TIMDEST LIMIT IS SET TO VALUE IN SP FILE OR 14.0

    This means that the file $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/NETSP has never heard of
your data areas.  In general the data areas are selected by a
DEDEVS.LIST file in that same directory and all filles in DADEVS.LIST
are also listed in NETSP.  The worst penalty from this message occurs
if you do TIMDEST which I suspect you never will and even then affects
only the lowest allowed parameter.

We do assume that an aips manager has control over the site and sets
things up in a consistent manner.  I realize that this is not always
the case but these messages are meant to be a nuisance not a problem.