[daip] UVCON/FITS problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Oct 5 16:18:09 EDT 2007

Vincent Fish writes:
 > I'm having some problems running UVCON, and I was hoping you might have
 > some insights as to what's going wrong.
 >
 > The intent is to simulate a UV data set from an array, given an input
 > image and a few observational parameters.  The task works, in that when
 > I use an image of Cyg A from Rick Perley and put in, for instance, the
 > VLBA (using AIPSTARS:VLBA_UVCON), I can generate a usable, realistic UV
 > data set.
 >
 > Now, what I'm trying to do is to use an image I've generated from
 > (somebody else's) theoretical modelling of a source.  Their data were
 > in the form x,y,intensity; I've created a FITS file from this.  When I
 > read it into AIPS, I can display the image properly on the TV (TVALL).
 > But when I try to use it as the input image in UVCON, it dies with the
 > following error messages:
 >
 > poisso> UVCON1: TABINI: REQUESTED CC FILE   0 DOES NOT EXIST
 > poisso> UVCON1: PROBLEM WITH CC FILE(ERROR=  2), WILL USE THE IMAGE
 > poisso> UVCON1: *** WARNING: OVERRIDING SPECIFIED COMPUTATION METHOD
 > poisso> UVCON1: IMAGE SIZES => DFT IS MUCH BETTER THAN GRIDDED
 > CONTINUING ANYWAY
 > poisso> UVCON1: SETGDS: imaging done with one OFFSET tangent plane
 > poisso> UVCON1: CHNDAT:COULD NOT FIND FREQ AXIS
 > poisso> UVCON1: FRQTAB: CHNDAT ERROR   1

     All of the messages up to the FREQ axis message make sense if you
told it to use a CC model w/o providing one.  You can tell it to use
a CMODEL = 'IMAG' model and those messages will go away.  I do not
understand the next one which - as you have deduced is critical -
since the UV header gets created early on, squirreled away and then
sent in to the place where this test is done and the UV data header
must have 5 axes including FREQ.  At this stage, it appears that it is
not testing your model header but the self-created UV header and it is
failing.  If you send me your model and your full set of adverbs, I
suppose I could try it in the debugger (Leonia does not seem to be
around just now).

Eric Greisen