[daip] regarding frequency increments in AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Oct 2 10:41:43 EDT 2007

Neeraj Gupta writes:
 > Dear Eric,
 >
 >       Greetings from Sydney.  Dave Green and I have a couple of queries
 > regarding the way IFs with different frequency increments are handled by
 > AIPS' tasks.
 >
 > 1)  Do all the tasks (except for the ones like ISPEC which deal with files
 > where there is no FQ table) in AIPS take the frequency increment and its
 > sign from the FQ table?
 >
 > 2) At one point (when I was communicating with you on a similar issue) you
 > had said that DBCON, SPLIT and SPLAT in 31DEC06 have been fixed to handle
 > the IFs with frequency increments having opposite signs.  Does this mean
 > that there are still other tasks in AIPS which may not be able to
 > deal with data files which have IFs with opposite signs?

It certainly is my intention that all tasks should read the FQ table
and manage opposite signed IFs appropriately.  There is no guarantee
that all tasks now do and I would not even know how to check
everything to be sure.  It is clear that the earlier autthors of these
tasks (me included) did not much worry abbout such things.  I do want
to suggest strongly that the more complicated the instrumental setup
the less likely all software will correctly support it.  There were
reports a year ago of all sorts of bizarre troubles with GMRT data,
but they came at a time of much turmoil in my life and never were
properly addressed.  Since the complainers have not continued to ask
about things I have let that matter slide, assuming that work-arounds
and instrumental changes have resolved the problem.