[daip] Probleme reducing data

Melanie Gendre mgendre at phas.ubc.ca
Thu Nov 8 16:17:48 EST 2007

Hi,

My name is Melanie and I am having some trouble with the data reduction of
one of the archive file I got. I exchanged a couple of e-mails with Amy
Mioduszewski but I am still stuck.

The file name is AK403. From the summary of observation, the primary
calibrator is 1328+307. Setting the flux of the primary with SETJY doesn't
cause any probleme. However, when I run VLACALIB as follow:

> run vlaprocs
> task 'vlacalib' ; default
> getn 1
> calsour '1328+307'; uvrange 0 400; refant 4
> calcode '*';snver 1; doprint 0
> minamp 10; minph 10; freqid 1; vlacal

I get the following error message:

> localh> CALIB1: CALIB USING AK403_UV     . X BAND .   1 DISK=  1 USID=2403
> localh> CALIB1: Selecting and editing the data
> localh> CALIB1: Doing cal transfer mode with point model for each source
> localh> CALIB1: This is not self-calibration
> localh> CALIB1: Dividing data by source flux densities
> localh> CALIB1: Determining solutions using amp-scalar averaging
> localh> CALIB1: Writing SN table    1
> localh> CALIB1: RPOL, IF= 1 The average gain over these antennas is
> 0.000E+00
> localh> CALIB1: RPOL, IF= 2 The average gain over these antennas is
> 0.000E+00
> localh> CALIB1: LPOL, IF= 1 The average gain over these antennas is
> 0.000E+00
> localh> CALIB1: LPOL, IF= 2 The average gain over these antennas is
> 0.000E+00
> localh> CALIB1: ERROR: NO VALID SOLUTIONS FOUND

I tried to run VLACAL with UVRANGE 0, but this didn't change anything.
Amy then suggested that I check if there was data for this source using
SNPLT and UVPLT.
Using SNPLT, I got the message:

> message: NO DATA SELECTED

Indicating that I had no solutions in the SN or CL table. However, when
using UVPLT, with default settings and DOCAL=0, I do not run into any
problems:

localh> UVPLT1: Task UVPLT  (release of 31DEC07) begins
localh> UVPLT1: GFINIS: number records used     368
localh> UVPLT1: PLTUV:       7722 Points plotted
localh> UVPLT1: PLTUV: Plot file version    1  created.
localh> UVPLT1: Appears to have ended successfully

Amy then suggested there was a problem with CALIB and asked me to run
VLACALIB and then to do a TGET CALIB and send her the inputs (in attached
file).

I haven't had any news since then, and I am still stuck with the reduction
of those data. Can anyone give me a hand please?

Thank you very much,
Melanie GENDRE

--
Office: Henn 310D