[daip] Aips and LUSTRE network file system

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Nov 8 17:03:26 EST 2007

Nanni Mauro writes:
 > Hello Eric
 >
 > We are trying to use AIPS with the DATA spaces on a Lustre network file
 > system (instead a NFS file system that have bad performances).
 >
 > We had an error starting of AIPS ... seems that ZSTARTA can not make a
 > lock to the SPACE files.  Many years ago (1994-96) I remember similar
 > problems with the first releases of NFS on the Linux OS.
 >
 > Have you news about this class of problems
 > Do you know someone that use AIPS on modern network file system like
 > LUSTRE or  GPFS ?

I thought NFS was still being worked on - certainly we hit a temporary
glitch with it which RedHat has just fixed.

Perhaps the locking mechanisms have changed but this will be
disasterous - one will have to know the nature of the file system
before making an appropriate system call.  Let us hope not.

Does the aips process have write privilege on the SPACE files?  I
don't remember the inner details but I don't think ZSTRTA looks at the
SPACE files.  They are examined by the proc START_AIPS in functions
DADEVS.PL or DADEVS.SH.  It is not locking them, but simply asking is
there a file by the appropriate name.

Can you send me all the messages you get when you try to start aips
and also your DADEVS.LIST (or other forms of it) that you use?