[daip] hello!

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 6 12:17:48 EST 2007

Katherine Blundell writes:

 > Do hope this finds you well.

    More or less okay but with a finger that needed lancing and now is
at least sore and swollen.

 > I've installed leopard on my mac laptop, and hit a slight curiosity
 > when running AIPS...  I wondered if you could possibly advise?   AIPS
 > works fine when I type aips notv,  but the problem comes when trying
 > to get a TV...  details are below.

please use daip so that Wes can see this problem - I know little of
Macs.

 > Of course feel free to say that I should just wait a while until
 > leopard is fully supported - just thought I'd check in case there is a
 > simple fix.

    Do the message server and TeK server work?

 > START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
 > START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
 > START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
 > Starting up 31DEC07 AIPS with normal priority
 > Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC07) at priority =   0
 > UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV1 on localhost
 > TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
 > MakeLink: bind error (UNIX): No such file or directory
 > AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
 > AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   2
 > AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   2
 > UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on localhost, DISPLAY /tmp/launch-8ZEz8l/:0

    This is a wierd $DISPLAY value - causes XAS to think it is not
local and so not to use shared memory

 > AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
 > ?XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
 > XAS: Cannot use shared memory on remote XAS link
 > XAS: !!! Shared memory not selected !!!
 > XAS: Using screen width height 1430 778, max grey level 255
 > MakeLink: bind error (UNIX): No such file or directory
 > closedown: unlink: No such file or directory
 > zssslk connect (UNIX): No such file or directory
 > zssslk write data: Socket is not connected

   Looks like unix sockets do not work in Leopard.  What is in the
/tmp area after you start AIPS?