[daip] Intel question

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue May 29 12:41:53 EDT 2007

Bill Cotton writes:
 > Eric,
 >
 >    In order to try and resuscitate my old AIPS software, I've got a
 > copy of the Intel compilers installed on my machines and have DEC02
 > AIPS, nearly, sorta, working.  The linker seems to have problems
 > finding routines in the AIPS libraries although they are definitely
 > there.  What I've had to do is to create a directory (where LIBR
 > doesn't trash it) with the .o files for the offending routines and
 > force the linker to always load these.  This seems to work but is
 > really ugly and will likely cause trouble.  It is not at all clear to
 > me how the troublesome routines are in any way different from the
 > others.  The troublesome ones are all in APLSUB or a few in APLNOT.
 >    Did you run into this problem? And, if so, how did you fix it?

If there really is APLNOT problems then no we did not.  The problem we
found is that the linker will not allow you to include the same
library twice in the list.  AIPS requires APLSUB and APL<arch> to be
in the list twice.  Where necessary (and it does not always arise) we
have made symlinks to e.g APLSUB and APLLINUX and changed LIBR.DAT to
include the symlink names as the second inclusion of these libraries.

Eric