[daip] problem logging in

ppalmer at nrao.edu ppalmer at nrao.edu
Wed May 23 13:19:10 EDT 2007

I am logged in on dubhe under my name but ssh to aips at dubhe to run
aips under the aips account.  I can't get aips to start (with the
usual TV, etc.)

The environmental variable is (I didn't change anything):
DISPLAY=localhost:13.0

xhost was set:
access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
INET:dubhe.aoc.nrao.edu

but when I try:
Starting up 31DEC07 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC07) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server  28
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server  28
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?XASERVERS: TVSERV is already running on host dubhe, user aips
XASERVERS: Start XAS on dubhe, DISPLAY :0
Xlib: No protocol specified

XAS: cannot connect to X server :0
XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on dubhe, DISPLAY :0
Xlib: No protocol specified

xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :0
XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on dubhe, DISPLAY :0
Xlib: No protocol specified

xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :0

Can I get around this by setting the display variable explicitly to:
dubhe:0

(or some such)?

Pat