[daip] trouble reading tape

Jim Braatz jbraatz at nrao.edu
Tue May 22 10:01:01 EDT 2007

Hello,

   I am having trouble reading VLBI data into AIPS using FITLD.  I have two
tapes from project BB227B, which is an observation done with the VLBA, GBT, and
Eb a month ago.  The data were correlated in Socorro and I have the standard
distribution tapes, and I am trying to load the data here in CV.  I am running
FITLD with DOCONCAT=1, WTTHRESH=0.7, DOUVCOMP=1, CLINT=0.2, DIGICOR=1, and
SELBAND=SELFREQ=FQTOL=-1.

   Upon completion of the first tape, I get these messages:

CHIMP > FITLD1: Found UGC3789S         at   1/00:47:23 src #  16 was    1
CHIMP > FITLD1:                                        fqid #   4 was    1
CHIMP > FITLD1:    10000 vis. written
CHIMP > FITLD1:    20000 vis. written
CHIMP > FITLD1: ZTPWAT: ERROR   6 FOR LUN = 128 IBUFF = 2 TO TAPE
CHIMP > FITLD1: ZERROR: IN ZTPWA2 ERRNO = 5 (Input/output error)
CHIMP > FITLD1: ZERROR: IN ZTPWA2 ERRNO = 5 (Input/output error)
CHIMP > FITLD1: This usually means you're at END-OF-TAPE
CHIMP > FITLD1: TAPIO: ERROR   6  READING FILE
CHIMP > FITLD1: UT2UV: ERROR   6 TRANSLATING UV BINARY TABLE
CHIMP > FITLD1: ZOPEN: LUN = 40 ALREADY OPENED IN FTAB
CHIMP > FITLD1: ZOPEN: LUN = 40 ALREADY OPENED IN FTAB
CHIMP > FITLD1: BT2AIP: ARRAY GEOMETRY TABLE NOT PRESENT - ILLEGAL FILE
CHIMP > FITLD1: ERROR      1 RETURNED FROM BT2AIP
CHIMP > FITLD1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
CHIMP > FITLD1: chimp        31DEC07 TST: Cpu=    1956.2  Real=    8004

I presume these are not a real errors, but maybe they are?

Next I try to load the second tape, concatenating the data to the first file.
So, I explicitly set the output file to be the file created by the first run of
FITLD, and I otherwise leave the FITLD settings alone.  I get the following:

CHIMP > FITLD1: Task FITLD  (release of 31DEC07) begins
CHIMP > FITLD1: Reading tape drive number   1
CHIMP > FITLD1: Reading tape at current position
CHIMP > FITLD1: Correlator code version: 4.22
CHIMP > FITLD1:     FITLD Version 10.5.1
CHIMP > FITLD1:     Last updated on November 17 1999
CHIMP > FITLD1:     Recognize and handle OVLBI time filters
CHIMP > FITLD1:     Fix duplicate SU entries, result of CALCODEs
CHIMP > FITLD1:     Read multiple uv tables per FITS file
CHIMP > FITLD1:     Deal correctly with weights as an array
CHIMP > FITLD1:     Antenna numbers in MC table numbered correctly
CHIMP > FITLD1:     Read FLAG and WEATHER tables
CHIMP > FITLD1:     Reads a-priori information for VLBA
CHIMP > FITLD1:     Adjusts AN table reference frequency
CHIMP > FITLD1:     Can now do calibration transfer
CHIMP > FITLD1:     Checks for invalid calibration tables
CHIMP > FITLD1:     Does not round frequencies excessively
CHIMP > FITLD1:     Now concatenates cal transfer tables
CHIMP > FITLD1:     Now handles correct u,v,w labels
CHIMP > FITLD1:     Now handles explicit subarrays
CHIMP > FITLD1:     Tolerates data out of time order within days
CHIMP > FITLD1:     Weights now proportional to integration time for VLBA
CHIMP > FITLD1:     VLBA saturation correction now applied correctly
CHIMP > FITLD1: Data with weight <  0.70 will be permanently flagged
CHIMP > LOGFILE FOR USER 2022 GETTING LARGE: USE PRTMSG AND CLRMSG NOW!
CHIMP > FITLD1: TABINI: REQUESTED FR FILE   2 DOES NOT EXIST
CHIMP > FITLD1: FRINI: ERROR   2 FROM TABINI OPCODE = READ
CHIMP > FITLD1: FRINI: ERROR INITIALIZING FREQUENCY TABLE FOR READ
CHIMP > FITLD1: FRQORD: ERROR   2 FROM FRINI OPCODE = READ
CHIMP > FITLD1: FRQORD: ERROR   2 FROM FRINI OPCODE = READ
CHIMP > FITLD1: ERROR      2 RETURNED FROM BTRTAB
CHIMP > FITLD1: RMEXT: ZDESTR ERROR =  1
CHIMP > FITLD1: RMEXT: ZDESTR ERROR =  1
CHIMP > FITLD1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
CHIMP > FITLD1: chimp        31DEC07 TST: Cpu=       0.1  Real=       6

I don't know what any of this means.  I am not a VLBI expert, and it is possible
I'm doing something silly.  There appears to be plenty space on the disk, so I
don't think that's the problem.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

   Thanks,
     Jim Braatz