[daip] A suggestion..Menu Items on TV in .. IMAGR (A new request regarding Aips)

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Mar 29 10:43:18 EDT 2007

Subhashis Roy writes:
 > Dear Eric,
 >
 > Thanks for rearranging those menu items.
 >
 > I would like to request you for something more related to Aips.
 >
 > I have noticed long back that Aips stores the Metadata of files visible to
 > an user under any particular 'User Id' and Disk in Catalog files (their
 > names starts with 'CAD' as seen with 'ls' in the Disk area). If any
 > catalog file gets corrupted or deleted due to system problem, I believe
 > user loses all the data files catalogued there (though the data files
 > could remain unaffected). Therefore, will it be possible for you to create
 > a task which will search for Aips files in a disk area which has no entry
 > in the Catalog files, but visible from the OS ?
 > In the absence of metadata (file name as visible to an Aips user), it may
 > need to prompt the user for a new file name, which can be properly named
 > later with the help of its assciated History Extension file.
 >
 > If implementing the above will be difficult, you could create another copy
 > of the catalogs as backups (equivalent to what ext2 file system does for
 > the Superblock (stores metadata) of a partition).

This program has existed for quite some time.  Outside AIPS

cd $AIPS_ROOT
source LOGIN.CSH    (or . LOGIN.SH)
$CDTST
RUN RECAT

and answer the questions (user number, disk number, ...)

The file names are also in the CB files so all files with a CB file
(the header) will be recovered without much user input.  Files missing
a CB file are hosed.