[daip] uvplt trouble

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Mar 27 17:15:14 EDT 2007

Brian Kent writes:
 > Hi Eric,
 >
 > I downloaded the 31DEC07.tar.gz, checksum file, and install.pl INSTALL
 > wizard perl file and installed it on my machine here by following the
 > instructions at http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips/dec07.shtml as well as the
 > guide to the install wizard http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips/install.shtml.
 > However, the output from f77 --version on my machine is:
 >
 > GNU Fortran (GCC) 3.3.3 20040412 (Red Hat Linux 3.3.3-7)
 >

 > The installation gave me no errors.  If there was an installation problem,
 > I figured I would never have gotten as far as being able to use FILLM or
 > EDITA.  Maybe I've got a bigger problem...

Yes - you have a bigger problem.  The 3.3.x compiler has given no end
of trouble, particularly down at the bottom of the calibration
application routines which is where you are in UVPLT and lots of
others (but not FILLM, LISTR as you used it, or PRTAN).  The fastest
method to switch to a binary installation (which should run faster on
your machine) is

cd $AIPS_ROOT
source LOGIN.CSH       (or . LOGIN.SH for bash shells)
$CDTST
touch $SYSLOCAL/RSYNC.ME

and then run the MNJ ($HOME/do_daily.<hostname>).

You will not want the binary installation if you are planning to write
your own aips code (linking is hard) but otherwise it is really a
better solution than local compiling.  The 3.4.2+ compilers are okay
if you do need to recompile.