[daip] Mosaic observations

Dan Marrone dmarrone at oddjob.uchicago.edu
Thu Mar 22 16:33:07 EDT 2007

Okay, ignore any previous terms and draw definitions from the following:
The data set consists of 100h of observations spread over 6 files
downloaded from the VLA archive. I am imaging four fields, each 1.5deg^2
in area. The four fields are separated by roughly 6h in RA, centered at 3,
9, 15, and 21h. So the observing strategy is to observe each field for 6h
and then move to the next. This means that each file contains data from
2-4 fields, depending on the length of the observation.

Each field is covered by a mosaic of 9rows of 20pointings each. Each
pointing is visited 9 times over the course of the 100h.

At present I can calibrate all the data in any one of the files. I can
SPLIT the data and end up with single-source catalog entries for every
pointing visited during the observation represented by the file. However,
since every field appears in almost every file, someday I'll need to SPLIT
from all the multi-source data files at once, or else I'll have to
concatenate all the single-source catalog entries for a given pointing
derived from the 6 multi-source data files. Remember that I have
4fields*9rows*20pointings = 720 pointings, so I cannot manually select the
single-source catalog entries for each pointing for concatenation.

Clearer?