[daip] AIPS question (again)

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Mar 13 17:44:20 EDT 2007

Melanie Gendre writes:
 > Hi again,
 >
 > I managed to start AIPS, but it is asking me "AIPS 2: Enter user ID number"
 >
 > Do I have a user ID number?
 >
 > Sorry for asking so many questions...

you should try reading the AIPS cookbook - at least chapters 2 and 3.
 You have a copy on your machine

~/AIPS/TEXT/PUBL/COOKBOOK.PDF

which is a fully cross-linked pdf file read with acroread.

The user number on a private machine does not matter, anything > 1.
The aips manager has user 1.  Users often adopt several numbers, one
for each project they are doing.  This allows them to keep the
projects separated.  If you visit NRAO we will assign you a number so
that you may use a public machine without interfering with other
users, but on your own machine you are free to choose any positive,
modest size (< 36**3 - 1 ~ 43000) number.