[daip] couple of questions

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Jun 26 17:31:38 EDT 2007

Patrick Palmer writes:

 > Now that my system is upgraded to Solaris 10 and I have a lot more disk
 > space, I want ot re-install aips.  My previous AIPS files are all
 > present, but all symbolic links got destroyed in copying things.  Will
 > that cause a problem if I simply copy the new distribution and follow
 > the usual procedure for installing a new distribution, or should I
 > recreate the symbolic links?
 >
 > Solaris 10 is supposed to be binary compatible with Solaris 8.  I
 > realize that some fumbling around may be unavoidable because some other
 > things don't work like they used to or are stored in different places.)
 >
 > I backed up all data and deleted it so I don't have to worry about old
 > data catalogs.

I am not clear about what is worrying you.  There are no symbolic
links in the data themselves.  In fact your disk areas could be copied
to the new machine without any change.  A new installation of 31DEC07
should be done I suppose.  You need only set it up to point to the
data areas you have copied.  Unless you deleted everything, which was
totally not necessary.

You can do the binary one, which means you
copy only install.pl and then do perl install.pl -n.  Perhaps you have
new and better Fortran compilers for the architecture of your new cpu.
 In that case, compile locally.  As you know, NRAO does not upgrade
much in the Solaris world.