[daip] AIPS on Intel Mac

Adam J. Mott adam.mott at asu.edu
Wed Jun 13 23:54:19 EDT 2007

Question for ya':

I've done a binary installation of AIPS on my MacBook Pro, and I've
modified the files /etc/services and /etc/rc as suggested on the page
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips/Mac.shtml

I source the LOGIN.CSH file in my AIPS root directory.  And then I
start AIPS.  I don't know what to expect since I'm just now beginning
to use AIPS.  So maybe you can tell me if the following scenario
sounds right:

	Two additional X windows pop up: AIPS_MSGSRV and AIPS_TEKSRV.
		From what I've read online, it seems like there is supposed to be
an additional X window for the AIPS TV (?).  I don't have that.

	In the original xterm window, I get the following text:

adam at newton% aips
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
   (Using global default file /Users/adam/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
DADEVS.PL)
    Disk 1 (1) is /Users/adam/aips/DATA/LOCALHOST_1

Tape assignments:
    Tape 1 is REMOTE
    Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC07 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC07) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?XASERVERS: TVSERV is already running on host localhost, user adam
XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY :0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width height 1430 800, max grey level 255
Shared memory id failure: Invalid argument
XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0
XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0

	At this point, there is no prompt or anything.
	When I press return, I get a prompt:

AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?

	And I have no idea what my AIPS user ID number is.  Is this
something that was set up by the install script?

OK, sorry for the really basic questions here, but any info would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam Mott