[daip] STOKES in EDITR and UVPLT

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 31 20:29:37 EDT 2007

Amy Mioduszewski writes:
 > We were looking at data in EDITR (CROWDED=1) and found that polarization 1, IF 2
 > for an antenna was bad.  In an effort to figure out if polarization 1 was RR or
 > LL, we set STOKES='RR' (CROWDED=-1) and it was bad, just to be sure we set
 > STOKES='LL' and it looked bad too.  We then plotted the data in VPLOT and the
 > bad stokes was RR, LL was fine.  So it looks like EDITR plots RR if you set
 > STOKES to RR or LL.
 >
 > I also have a minor complaint about STOKES in UVPLT.  Since the change in STOKES
 > a few weeks ago, the default is to plot FULL, which has confused me and several
 > other users (Rosy, Cornelia...) into thinking we had lots of bad data.  I think
 > the logical default would be HALF or I.

If you read the EDITR help file it tells you that only STOKES='I' is
accepted - all others get you HALF.  But on crowded you can select RR
or LL or both and can also cycle through the IFs.

All standard STOKES handling now goes one place but I guess that UVPLT
and WIPER might wish to have different defaults.