[daip] aips 31DEC07 compiler question

Joe Cammisa jcammisa at haverford.edu
Mon Jul 30 14:39:27 EDT 2007

greetings, eric.  our astronomy department has just purchased a new dell
server and hope to soon begin processing their data on it.  unfortunately,
as i set out to install the 31DEC07 version of aips, i am reminded that
the compiler version used by the install wizard does indeed matter.  the
version on this system is gcc-4.1, which is not mentioned on the
aips-compiler web page, which gives me pause; worse, when i attempt to
assuage my paranoia by grabbing the nrao version of gcc-2.95.3, i am thus
far unable to successfully build it; nor (as of this writing) have i been
able to build gcc-3.4.4 on this x86_64 rhel system.

therefore, i'm afraid i must ask your advice on this matter:  has aips
been successfully compiled on gcc-4.1?  are there other preferable gcc
versions that i should be trying to bootstrap?  any pertinent
recommendation or information on this matter would be most heartily
appreciated.  i sincerely thank you in advance for your time.  best-

joe

--

  Joe Cammisa
  Networking & Systems