[daip] Big problem with your AIPS FTP distribution site

Jim Bodie jabpci at cis.rit.edu
Wed Jul 25 14:10:03 EDT 2007

Greetings!  I'm Jim Bodie and I support a number of astronomers at the
Center for Imaging Science at the Rochester Institute of Technology.  I
have dedicated today to install the 2007 version of AIPS.  I'm doing a
clean install of the 2007 version (to leave the 2004 version intact
in case I run into problems like this one).

I'm following the instructions for a binary installation.  The first step
is to download install.pl from
ftp://ftp.aoc.nrao.edu/pub/software/aips/31DEC07/.  Much to my chagrin and
distress, that is an empty file.  If you look at that directory, you'll
see that 31DEC07.tar.gz is only 13 Meg and there is a file called
31DEC07.tar.gz.error that says "Bad status on tarball generation!
Status=1" and the rest of the files are empty.  That file is dated last
December so it may not be related.  Clearly something is wrong.

Could you please let me know if there is a different place to obtain the
software, or if the problem with that directory will be fixed so I may
proceed and keep my astronomers happy?  Thanks for your time!

Jim Bodie

// Jim Bodie, RIT Center for Imaging Science, <jabpci at cis.rit.edu>