[daip] CALIB oddities in 31DEC07

Gregory Taylor gbtaylor at unm.edu
Wed Jan 10 17:25:49 EST 2007

Hi AIPS,

      I just encountered some very different (and incorrect)
solutions from
CALIB in 31DEC07 compared to CALIB in 31DEC05.  Below are the
inputs to CALIB and the output messages from the two AIPS versions.
You can see that the average gain reported is very different.  This
is how I
noticed the difference since CALIB in 31DEC07 was clearly corrupting
my calibration.  Just thought you should know.  Ciao,

  - Greg

 >inp
AIPS 1: CALIB:  Task to determine calibration for data.
AIPS 1: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 1:                                    Input uv data.
AIPS 1: INNAME     'BY019A-5GHZ'              UV file name (name)
AIPS 1: INCLASS    'SPLAT'                    UV file name (class)
AIPS 1: INSEQ         1                       UV file name (seq. #)
AIPS 1: INDISK        1                       UV file disk drive #
AIPS 1:                                    Data selection (multisource):
AIPS 1: CALSOUR    'OQ208'                 Calibrator sources
AIPS 1:            *rest ' '
AIPS 1: QUAL         -1                    Calibrator qualifier -1=>all
AIPS 1: CALCODE    ' '                     Calibrator code '    '=>all
AIPS 1: SELBAND      -1                    Bandwidth to select (kHz)
AIPS 1: SELFREQ      -1                    Frequency to select (MHz)
AIPS 1: FREQID       -1                    Freq. ID to select.
AIPS 1: TIMERANG   *all 0                  Time range to use.
AIPS 1: BCHAN         0                    Lowest channel number 0=>all
AIPS 1: ECHAN         0                    Highest channel number
AIPS 1: ANTENNAS   *all 0                  Antennas to select. 0=all
AIPS 1: DOFIT      *all 0                  Subset of ANTENNAS list for
AIPS 1:                                    which solns are desired.
AIPS 1: ANTUSE     *all 0                  Mean gain is calculated
AIPS 1:                                    (CPARM(2)>0) using only the
AIPS 1:                                    listed antennas. See explain.
AIPS 1: SUBARRAY      0                    Subarray, 0=>all
AIPS 1: UVRANGE       0           0        Range of uv distance for full
AIPS 1:                                    weight
AIPS 1: WTUV          0                    Weight outside UVRANGE 0=0.
AIPS 1: WEIGHTIT      0                    Modify data weights function
AIPS 1:                                    Cal. info for input:
AIPS 1: DOCALIB       2                    > 0 calibrate data & weights
AIPS 1:                                    > 99 do NOT calibrate weights
AIPS 1: GAINUSE       4                    CL table to apply.
AIPS 1: DOPOL        -1                    If >0 correct polarization.
AIPS 1: ** press RETURN for more, enter Q or next line to quit print **
#
AIPS 1: BLVER        -1                    BL table to apply.
AIPS 1: FLAGVER       0                    Flag table version
AIPS 1: DOBAND       -1                    If >0 apply bandpass cal.
AIPS 1:                                    Method used depends on value
AIPS 1:                                    of DOBAND (see HELP file).
AIPS 1: BPVER        -1                    Bandpass table version
AIPS 1: SMOOTH     *all 0                  Smoothing function. See
AIPS 1:                                    HELP SMOOTH for details.
AIPS 1:
AIPS 1:                                    CLEAN map. See HELP.
AIPS 1: IN2NAME    'OQ208'                    Cleaned map name (name)
AIPS 1: IN2CLASS   'DCLNC'                    Cleaned map name (class)
AIPS 1: IN2SEQ        1                       Cleaned map name (seq. #)
AIPS 1: IN2DISK       1                       Cleaned map disk unit #
AIPS 1: INVERS        0                    CC file version #.
AIPS 1: NCOMP      *all 0                  # comps to use for model.
AIPS 1:                                    1 value per field
AIPS 1: FLUX          0                    Lowest CC component used.
AIPS 1: NMAPS         0                    No. Clean map files
AIPS 1: CMETHOD    'DFT'                   Modeling method:
AIPS 1:                                    'DFT','GRID','    '
AIPS 1: CMODEL     ' '                     Model type: 'COMP','IMAG'
AIPS 1: SMODEL     *all 0                  Source model, 1=flux,2=x,3=y
AIPS 1:                                    See HELP SMODEL for models.
AIPS 1:
AIPS 1:                                    Output uv data file.
AIPS 1: OUTNAME    ' '                        UV file name (name)
AIPS 1: OUTCLASS   'DCLNC'                    UV file name (class)
AIPS 1: OUTSEQ        0                       UV file name (seq. #)
AIPS 1: OUTDISK       0                       UV file disk drive #
AIPS 1:
AIPS 1:                                    Solution control adverbs:
AIPS 1: REFANT        2                    Reference antenna
AIPS 1: SOLINT        4                    Solution interval (min)
AIPS 1: SOLSUB        0                    Solution subinterval
AIPS 1: ** press RETURN for more, enter Q or next line to quit print **
#
AIPS 1: SOLMIN        0                    Min solution interval
AIPS 1: APARM      *all 0                  General parameters
AIPS 1:                                       1=min. no. antennas
AIPS 1:                                       2 > 0 => data divided
AIPS 1:                                       3 > 0 => avg. RR,LL
AIPS 1:                                       5 > 0 => avg. IFs.
AIPS 1:                                       6=print level, 1=good,
AIPS 1:                                         2 closure, 3 SNR
AIPS 1:                                       7=SNR cutoff (0=>5)
AIPS 1:                                       8=max. ant. # (no AN)
AIPS 1:                                       9 > 0 => pass failed soln
AIPS 1:                                      10 < 99 cal output weights
AIPS 1:                                    Phase-amplitude Parameters:
AIPS 1: DOFLAG        0                    Flag on closure error?
AIPS 1: SOLTYPE    ' '                     Soln type,'  ','L1','GCON',
AIPS 1:                                       'R', 'L1R', 'GCOR'
AIPS 1: SOLMODE    'A&P'                   Soln. mode: 'A&P','P','P!A',
AIPS 1:                                    'GCON',
AIPS 1: SOLCON        0                    Gain constraint factor.
AIPS 1: MINAMPER      0                    Amplitude closure error
AIPS 1:                                    regarded as excessive in %
AIPS 1: MINPHSER      0                    Phase closure error regarded
AIPS 1:                                    as excessive in degrees
AIPS 1: CPARM      *all 0                  Phase-amp. parameters
AIPS 1:                                       1 = Min el for gain
AIPS 1:                                            normalization (deg)
AIPS 1:                                       2 >0 => normalize gain
AIPS 1:                                       3 avg. amp. closure err
AIPS 1:                                       4 avg. ph. closure err
AIPS 1:                                       5 >0 => scalar average
AIPS 1:                                       6 limit clipping in robust
AIPS 1:                                       7 limit display of closure
AIPS 1:                                         errors
AIPS 1: SNVER         0                    Output SN table, 0=>new table
AIPS 1: ANTWT      *all 0                  Ant. weights (0=>1.0)
AIPS 1: ** press RETURN for more, enter Q or next line to quit print **
#
AIPS 1: GAINERR    *all 0                  Std. Dev. of antenna gains.
AIPS 1: BADDISK    *all 0                  Disk no. not to use for
AIPS 1:                                       scratch files.
 >type vers
AIPS 1: 'GBT'
 >vers 'old'
 >go calib
AIPS 1: Found in Version=OLD
CALIB1: Task CALIB  (release of 31DEC05) begins
CALIB1: CALIB USING BY019A-5GHZ  . SPLAT  .   1 DISK=  1 USID=1561
CALIB1: Selecting, editing and calibrating the data
AIPS 1: Resumes
 >CALIB1: Doing self-cal mode with CC model
CALIB1: FACSET: 2.390114 Jy found from 164 components
CALIB1: VISDFT: Begin DFT component division
CALIB1: VISDFT: Model components of type Point
CALIB1: Ipol processed from Rpol model
CALIB1: Model computation is    30 percent complete
CALIB1: Model computation is    50 percent complete
CALIB1: Model computation is    80 percent complete
CALIB1: Model computation is   100 percent complete
CALIB1: Field    1 used     164 CCs
CALIB1: Determining solutions
CALIB1: Writing SN table    5
CALIB1: RPOL, IF= 1 The average gain over these antennas is  1.059E+00
CALIB1: RPOL, IF= 2 The average gain over these antennas is  1.091E+00
CALIB1: RPOL, IF= 3 The average gain over these antennas is  1.010E+00
CALIB1: RPOL, IF= 4 The average gain over these antennas is  1.043E+00
CALIB1: LPOL, IF= 1 The average gain over these antennas is  1.014E+00
CALIB1: LPOL, IF= 2 The average gain over these antennas is  1.023E+00
CALIB1: LPOL, IF= 3 The average gain over these antennas is  1.007E+00
CALIB1: LPOL, IF= 4 The average gain over these antennas is  1.008E+00
CALIB1: Found          346 good solutions
CALIB1: Failed on        6 solutions
CALIB1: Average closure rms =   .0261 +-   .0075
CALIB1: Fraction of times having data >  2.5 rms from solution
CALIB1:  .20000 of the times had  2 -  4 percent outside  2.5 times rms
CALIB1:  .62500 of the times had  4 -  6 percent outside  2.5 times rms
CALIB1:  .07500 of the times had  6 -  8 percent outside  2.5 times rms
CALIB1:  .10000 of the times had  8 - 10 percent outside  2.5 times rms
CALIB1: Adjusting solutions to a common reference antenna
CALIB1: Appears to have ended successfully
CALIB1: localhost    31DEC05 OLD: Cpu=       1.0  Real=       2
vers ''
 >go calib
CALIB1: Task CALIB  (release of 31DEC07) begins
CALIB1: CALIB USING BY019A-5GHZ  . SPLAT  .   1 DISK=  1 USID=1561
CALIB1: Selecting, editing and calibrating the data
AIPS 1: Resumes
 >CALIB1: Doing self-cal mode with CC model
CALIB1: FACSET: 2.390114 Jy found from 164 components
CALIB1: QINIT: did a GET  of    1280 Kwords, OFF          8185021
CALIB1: VISDFT: Begin DFT component division
CALIB1: VISDFT: Model components of type Point
CALIB1: Ipol processed from Rpol model
CALIB1: Model computation is    30 percent complete
CALIB1: Model computation is    50 percent complete
CALIB1: Model computation is    80 percent complete
CALIB1: Model computation is   100 percent complete
CALIB1: Field    1 used     164 CCs
CALIB1: Determining solutions
CALIB1: Writing SN table    6
CALIB1: RPOL, IF= 1 The average gain over these antennas is  1.293E+00
CALIB1: RPOL, IF= 2 The average gain over these antennas is  1.326E+00
CALIB1: RPOL, IF= 3 The average gain over these antennas is  1.266E+00
CALIB1: RPOL, IF= 4 The average gain over these antennas is  1.303E+00
LOGFILE FOR USER 1561 GETTING LARGE: USE PRTMSG AND CLRMSG NOW!
CALIB1: LPOL, IF= 1 The average gain over these antennas is  1.244E+00
CALIB1: LPOL, IF= 2 The average gain over these antennas is  1.258E+00
CALIB1: LPOL, IF= 3 The average gain over these antennas is  1.265E+00
CALIB1: LPOL, IF= 4 The average gain over these antennas is  1.255E+00
CALIB1: Found          346 good solutions
CALIB1: Failed on        6 solutions
CALIB1: Average closure rms =   .0833 +-   .0113
CALIB1: Fraction of times having data >  2.5 rms from solution
CALIB1:  .16129 of the times had  2 -  4 percent outside  2.5 times rms
CALIB1:  .12903 of the times had  4 -  6 percent outside  2.5 times rms
CALIB1: Adjusting solutions to a common reference antenna
CALIB1: Appears to have ended successfully
CALIB1: localhost    31DEC07 TST: Cpu=        .7  Real=       1