[daip] help with AIPS ...

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Jan 8 12:32:19 EST 2007

Ryan Ransom writes:

 > I have installed AIPS on my laptop, following the instructions on the
 > web as closely as possible.  When AIPS starts, all three of the
 > MSGSRV, TKSRV and TVSRV windows open and I get start-up messages which
 > seem to indicate that all is okay (email continues below):

     Did you do a binary or a text (locally compiled) installation?

 > However, if I start a task, the messages that should appear in the
 > MSGSRV window appear in the terminal window with the following error
 > message:
 >
 > > ERROR  3 ON UNIT TTDEV01         , GETTING HOST/SERVICE BY NAME
 > >  ZMSGOP: ZTTOPN RETURNS ERROR =   1 FOR LUN =   6
 > >  localhos

   This last line is significant - the t is missing from the name.  I
had some trouble following our code to see where that string is
emitted so I cannot tell what the variable is and so find out if AIPS
has limited the display to 8 characters.  Clearly the name localhost
works well since it is widely used so all AIPS code handles it fine
 - with some uncertainty about error reporting.

    So I find it hard to believe that AIPS has truncated the host name
to "localhos" but I also find it hard to believe that your OS cannot
translate localhost to 127.0.0.0 which is your own machine.

    If you compiled the code locally, was there some trouble with a C
include file called AIPSPROTO.H?  That file defines the length used by
AIPS in C for pathnames including the length of the variable that
goes into the gethostbyname routine.

    A work-around is to use UNIX sockets rather than INET ones:
       aips tv=local
or see HELP AIPS for more options in this tv=local command.  It would
be good to figure out what is wrong.  Try perhaps
       slogin localhost
and see what happens.

Eric Greisen